Equipment Mechanic II
San Jose, California 95118-3686
Equipment Mechanic II
Salary: $7,590.27 - $9,722.27 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01335-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: General Services
Closing: 9/7/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Equipment Management Unit (Position Code 0734)
Valley Water's Equipment Mechanic II's perform preventative maintenance inspections, field service, vehicle and equipment repairs, troubleshooting, and emergency repairs on a variety of equipment. A mixed fleet of compact passenger, light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles and equipment such as compactors, cranes, flatbed trucks, and trailers. The Equipment Mechanic II ensures the vehicles are safe and in good-working order for Valley Water employees, and that the use of those vehicles meet federal, state, and local laws and regulations through BIENNIAL INSPECTION OF TERMINALS (BIT) - Inspections and Opacity testing.
In addition, the Equipment Mechanic II needs to be able to perform preventative maintenance and repairs to small engine equipment such as chain saws, string trimmers, generators, pumps, transfer switches, and sprayers, and must have experience in this arena. In addition to repairs, they will handle the administrative side of the workshop, problem-solve technical queries, provide advice, speak to staff concerning the repair of their equipment, order and replace workshop consumables, and assist with workshop activities in our Class lV equipment shop.
Equipment Mechanic II's must have the ability to obtain their Class A Commercial driver's license with hazmat, air brakes and tanker endorsements within six months of hire.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs preventative maintenance, safety inspections, and repairs to gasoline or diesel-powered heavy equipment, trucks, construction equipment, and passenger vehicles.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses computer control system components using scanners or laptop with Original Equipment software applications.
- Maintains and repairs other equipment such as trailers, auxiliary engines, pumps, steam cleaners, air compressors, generators, ATVs, forklifts, marine equipment and related equipment.
- Removes, disassembles, repairs and replaces a variety of parts including transmissions, clutches, differentials, axles and suspension, pneumatic and hydraulic brake systems, hydraulic systems, ignition and electric al systems, electronic and computer control systems, steering and control systems, air conditioning/climate control systems, tracks and assemblies, various electrical devices/units, body parts and attached equipment.
- May be required to make repairs/service to Fleet equipment and vehicles at remote location or worksites.
- Operates equipment and vehicles after repair to insure safe and complete repairs.
- Conducts annual safety inspections required under California State laws on equipment.
- Performs acetylene, TiG, MiG, stick welding; performs plasma cutting and repairs to vehicles and fabrication of equipment attached to vehicles.
- Repairs and installs special equipment such as body up-fits, extra lights, controllers, and instrument panels.
- Prepares and maintains related records.
- May prepare schedules of repairs for a limited amount of equipment.
- Identifies and may order replacement parts and make recommendations as to cost of repairs.
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
- Three to five years preventative maintenance and journey level repair in a fleet environment with multiple types of vehicles and equipment such passenger vehicles, light duty truck, medium and heavy trucks, and construction equipment, and trailers.
- Supplemental experience performing repairs on equipment with small engines such as chain saws, string trimmers, generators, pumps, transfer switches, and sprayers.
- Troubleshooting and repairing hydraulic, electrical, and pneumatic systems.
- Proficient with tools, equipment and procedures used in the service, repair, and adjustment of passenger vehicles, light, medium and heavy trucks, construction equipment, electric, gasoline and diesel-powered equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose failures on light, medium, heavy-duty equipment and related systems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely and work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to translate and work from electrical schematics.
- Ability to use testing and diagnostic equipment and software.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and materials used in the servicing and maintenance of automobiles, medium and heavy trucks, construction equipment, and small engines.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of troubleshooting/ diagnosing equipment malfunctions and equipment and tools used in routine welding and fabrication.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certifications in cars & light trucks and/or medium and heavy-duty truck is desirable.
- Community College Degree (Automotive Technology) / Automotive Technical or Trade School Certification is preferred.
- Certified Manufacturer specialized training programs are desirable.
- Class A driver's license with hazmat air brake endorsement at the time of joining is preferred.
Required License or Certificate
Must have a satisfactory driving record, a valid California driver's license, and be able to obtain a valid Class A driver's license with air brakes and tanker endorsements within six months of appointment.
Selected candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination and a drug and alcohol screening.
To review the Classification Specification, please click here (Download PDF reader)
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/scvwd/jobs/3204023/equipment-mechanic-ii
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Preferred Years Of Experience:3 Year(s)
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Date Posted : 08/26/2021
Share On :